Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Don't Eat Shark Soup at Weddings

Okay so much of my day is spent on the telephone and communicating with Vancouver Wedding Suppliers and for the most part; it's a lot of fun. Especially when the vendors I connect with are thinking 'outside' the box. Yes, they are able to see what I see and make anything imaginable possible and more importantly can incorporate any form of cultural elements into any wedding. The one supplier that still has me thinking after today's telecon ...actually I don't think that that I can classify her as a supplier even because she is not really supplying anything tangible to brides and grooms - more importantly she is 'sharing knowledge with them and they need to know'. What is this knowledge...well what' I'm about to share with you is a bit surprising and really has had me thinking about the whole thing since I got her email and that is; 'apparently eating Shark fin soup has contributed to drastic decline in the number of sharks in the ocean. And since Shark fin soup is often served at Chinese banquets and weddings she is wanting to educate brides and grooms about the inhumanity associated with it.' Kudos to her: first for standing up for what she believes in and 2) for actually making an effort to do something about it. I will connect with this individual later but it's ironic since I get this call on the day I am planning 'how food is incorporated' into various wedding customs. Go figure. Will keep you posted about the latest and greatest in the world of weddings!

0 comments: